Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ribbon Dolls




Today, rather than debuting a new pattern, I would like to show you an old craft that is making a comeback in Canada. My Aunt Cindy sent me a kit for Christmas, but I only finished it this past week, after she showed me several beautiful dolls her friend Linda made.
First, let me tell you it is hard to capture the charm of this art form in a photograph. You really have to see it in person to get how cute it is. Fortunately, this is a relatively easy project.
Ribbon dolls seem to have hit their peak in the 1920s and 1930s. Basically, you cover paper dolls with ribbon and frame them. A simple idea that also happens to be a lot of fun! (I really wish I had taken pictures of Linda's dolls. They were fantastic! She buys vintage paper dolls on Ebay and creates her own patterns to dress them.)
To make this doll I gathered pieces of ribbon to create a ruffle then glued them onto a triangular piece of cardboard to make the skirt. The blouse is done on a separate piece of paper attached to the head, then all the pieces are glued together. As soon as I have time, I plan to try this project with a photograph instead of a paper doll, just to mix things up a little. I'll keep you posted!
~Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment