Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Broom of Destruction!!!!

I hope everyone had a good weekend! Every Sunday I plan to post a devotional or some encouragement from God’s Word. Right now I am going through the Bible chronologically, focusing on the books I haven’t really read before.

I’m just beginning the Major Prophets. Reading prophecy usually leaves me with more questions than answers, but I also find it strangely uplifting.
Today’s scripture caught my attention at first for its unusual metaphor.

Isaiah 14:23 (NIV) ““I will turn her into a place for owls and into swampland; I will sweep her with the broom of destruction,” declares the LORD Almighty.”

Isn’t that a fantastic phrase? “The broom of destruction…” It really makes me want to write some strange science fiction book or really deep metaphorical song so I can use that as a title for more than a blog post. (If I do, I’ll be sure to post it for you.) God is speaking here through the prophet Isaiah about the judgment he plans to bring against Babylon. Amusing analogy aside, this verse also spoke to me about the nature of God.

God is so powerful! Think about the sorts of things you usually sweep with a broom. Dust. Dirt. Small pesky particles that have somehow found their way onto your floor. And that is what the mighty nation of Babylon was to God. He views His enemies as nothing more than specks of dust. Understand, when I talk about enemies, I’m not talking about the person who stole your parking spot or your annoying classmate or coworker. The Babylonians had carried God’s chosen people into captivity (God let this happen as a consequence of Israel’s idolatry). Babylon actively worked against God. Their kings were filled with pride. The Babylonian empire spanned most of the known world; there really isn’t a good modern day comparison.

But to God, they were dust. Ready to be swept up with the broom of destruction. Remember that the next time a spiritual obstacle seems insurmountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment