Tuesday, January 17, 2012

7 Alternative Stuffings

While I love making wearable projects like hats and scarves, I also enjoy making 3D creations like amigurumi crocheted sculptures or pillows. But sometimes I run out of stuffing and don’t want to stop crocheting! (Or don’t have the money to buy more.) Today I’m going to share some alternative materials I use to stuff my projects; this list could come in handy if you want to save money, upcycle, or don’t have time to run to the store.

I started experimenting with alternative stuffings in the 8th grade when I took a trip to Mexico. At some point during the two day van ride, I decided I wanted to make a doll. Without any stuffing available, I made do with napkins from McDonalds! That’s an extreme example, but here are seven alternative sources to fulfill your stuffing needs.

1. Old Pillows
2. Old Blankets or Quilts
3. Old Toys
4. Fabric
5. Plastic Grocery Bags
6. Yarn Scraps
7. Paper Scraps

1. Old Pillows

I got this idea when an old lumpy pillow split a seam and leaked stuffing all over my bed. Turns out there’s a lot of good stuffing in a pillow, and I was able to work the lumps out of my upcycled filling. I found the stuffing in my pillows to be very similar to the stuffing I buy in stores, but I’m not sure how feather pillows would work.

2. Old Blankets or Quilts

Thick, comforter type blankets have stuffing sewn into them, so a blanket with holes or stains could hold a lot of raw materials for you to work with. I always consider crafting possibilities before throwing something away!

3. Old Toys

As with pillows and blankets, old plush toys can be upcycled for their stuffing. All you need is a pair of scissors. (Please don’t chop up a child’s favorite toy for its stuffing, even if you are making them a new toy. I don’t want to be responsible for traumatizing anyone.)

4. Fabric

Fabric scraps that are too small to be useful for sewing could be perfect for stuffing your next project. Either wad them up or cut the fabric into small squares and strips to fill your project!

5. Plastic Grocery Bags

This stuffing isn’t as cuddly as the ones I’ve already mentioned, but it will gain you some green points for upcycling. This provides a stiffer feeling than fabric based stuffing, so I like to use it for items that are meant for display rather than play. Just cut your grocery bags into strips or manageable scraps and fill your project! Your project will make a crinkling sound when squeezed.

6. Yarn Scraps

I hate throwing away yarn, even the tiny leftover scraps that are too small to crochet with. But if you save up enough yarn scraps you can use them as stuffing! Try using a bag or box to hold your scraps instead of the trash. Once you get into the habit, you’ll have reached a new level of thriftiness!

7. Paper Scraps

While projects stuffed with paper can’t be washed, paper is still a viable filling option for many projects. All that junk mail could be a free supply for your next project! I first used paper while on a mission trip to Mexico; stopping at a craft store wasn’t an option so I used paper napkins to stuff a doll. I’m not the only one to do this. I’ve seen several art exhibits with pillows stuffed with papers from books and newspapers. Just shred, crumple, and fill!

No comments:

Post a Comment